Thursday, August 30, 2007

Oh my...

Yesterday we started our day just like we always do, Maddie to school, me to Target, then off to the Center to spend time with Fletcher. When I got there he was a little cranky but I got him dressed and ready for his PO feeding. He was even crankier when he ate, so I stopped after only 3 bites of food. I thought maybe he'd be better if he went to class. I don't know what I was thinking! He had a really tough time there. I vented his G-tube thinking maybe his tummy was hurting. That turned out to a big mess and on top of all that I had to leave to pick up Maddie from school! Maddie and I went back to TCC and Fletcher was much worse, so much so that the doctor ordered Morphine every 6 hours. His central line would not draw blood so they did an arterial stick (not fun) and all his blood work came back normal. I thought there might be something wrong with his tummy, so they ordered x-rays of his lungs and abdomen. We also wondered if maybe he was going through some withdrawal from the weaning of the Methadone and Valium. We could not figure out what was wrong with him. He was irritable and cried very easily, it was heart wrenching to watch. AND remember Maddie was with me. I tried so hard to get her to understand that Bubba was in trouble and I just needed her to sit still and color. Picture this, Fletcher is literally surrounded by a doctor, 3 nurses an RT, me and Maddie! She was adjusting his bed and trying to climb into his bed, pushing people out of the way so she could see her brother. It was too much. One of the other moms came and got Maddie and she played with her for a few minutes. Then one of Fletcher's teachers came and took Maddie to a class room and she stayed there for at least 2 hours. That was such a blessing to her and me! Fletcher finally went to sleep and I went and got Maddie so we could get home to Kayleigh. He was asleep when Craig got there and when Fletcher did wake up he was so irritable that Craig just tried to help him get back to sleep. We are only allowed to stay at the Center until 9pm so Craig came home and we called to check on Fletcher at about 10pm and he was a little better. This morning when I got there Fletcher seemed worse! They said he had a pretty rough morning. I held him the whole time I was there. One of the Nurse Practitioners came into assess him and as we began to talk she decided to change his vent settings back to the way they were before we started to wean the vent. In a matter of minutes he was back to his old self! He was blowing kisses to every girl he laid eyes on, waving, showing us all his tricks! It was amazing! God is so good! Usually Maddie and I go to TCC after lunch and each day this week we've stayed so long that we've messed up her nap schedule. A lot of times as soon as we get home I lay her down and it just seems like she doesn't really get to enjoy our home and her 'stuff'. So, today since Bubba was doing so well I decided we'd stay home after lunch, let Maddie play and then put her down for her nap. I'll go see Fletcher later this afternoon when Kayleigh gets home from school.

2 comments:

janet c said...

I admires so much how you and Craig refuse to allow unfair advantage of one child over the others. God gave you three precious ones and you are balancing the bunch beustifully!There's been a stomach virus running around this part of the state, Maybe you've got an early version. IF up-chucking doesn't go with it, then it's prime. We didn't up-chuck, but MAN! we were nnauseated!OUr prayers of heling for the little and thr big are there for you. AMEN AND AMEN,

janet c said...

And Target is part of your NOrmmal day? You are odd, girl, but I'm jealous. I haven't driven since 1999, and I AND I'm SOI (sick ;o it), I've wanted to go to Taregt just to meander and catch up with the times! What year is it? Season?