Thursday, January 10, 2008

Update

Fletcher is still in the PICU at Baptist. Right now everything that is going on with him is so complex and hard to understand and to explain. I will try to do my best to explain what is happening. About a month ago we found out that Fletcher has Hypophosphatemia Rickets, basically he has the bones of a 95 year old woman. He is very fragile and in critical condition. Fletcher is experiencing bone pain and he is very agitated. At this time we are trying to manage his pain and keep him comfortable without completely sedating him. He is having moments of smiling and giving us kisses. But his times of pain and agitation outweigh those good moments. Yesterday they took x-rays of Fletcher's extremities. They showed us the films and what we saw was unbelievable. His little bones are bent and bowed and barely have calcium in them. His right arm had several old fractures, meaning his little arm as been broken several times and we didn't even know it! There are no new fractures on his arms and legs, they believe he might have some compression fractures on his spine. They will take more x-rays tomorrow of his spine and pelvic area. The problems with his electrolytes (calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, etc.) are not fixable. We would appreciate your prayers as we travel this road. We firmly believe that only God knows the number of Fletcher's days and nothing we do will change His sovereignty.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just sent you an email.
I love you sister.....
Millie

Anonymous said...

Praying for God's stong arms of comfort and peace to surround you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Little Fletcher is such a mighty warrior for God! We pray for you all!

Kristi said...

We love you and join you in your prayers for Fletcher. Please let us know if we can do anything for you. Love you!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for little Fletcher, and we are praying for you to have the strength to make it through this. We love you, and we want you to know that we are here for you.

The Nazworth/Reihm family

Kristin's Blog said...

Denise you strength amazes me. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know Foy Boy & Barb are praying for you and tracking your journey.

We stand amazed, you are awesome parents. You are a gift to Fletcher.

Anonymous said...

Dawn filled up in on all the information and I wanted to let you know we are praying. It broke my heart when she told me .. his tiny body has been so strong for so long and he has just done an amazing job at fighting. He is one of the sweetest lil baby boys I have ever been around. We love you.

Anonymous said...

All of your family, especially Fletcher, are in so many prayers.

Anonymous said...

There are no words, except may the armour of the God be firmly placed over all of you. Deb & Gary

Unknown said...

I think of you and your family and little Fletcher a lot. Thanks for keeping us updated. I know this is so, so hard for you, Denise.

Anonymous said...

Your strength and faith is so amazing. We are praying for you all. Love you.

joiful1 said...

Praying for comfort and peace today and the days to come! We love you! Aimee and Ben

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you all in this hour of need. As tough as it is, keep your spirit up and your heart in the Lord as you have always done. Remember that we LOVE you all. Uncle Randy and family.

Anonymous said...

I want you to know that I admire your strength. You and your family are amazing and I am so blessed that God has brought you into my life. I will continue to pray for Fletcher and your family. I love you guys!
Angie

Angie said...

I admire your strength through all that you have been facing. I am so blessed that God has brought you and your family into my life. I will continue to pray for Fletcher and your family. I love you guys!

Susie said...

I had a crazy weekend and am just getting by to check in. Poor sweet Fletcher! The thought of him having broken bones and no one knowing just makes me cry. When my hubby was a baby in a cast for dislocated hips, he came home from the hospital and cried for a couple of days straight. When he was finally x-rayed they saw they had broken his femur. He was only several months old, and didn't understand. My prayers are with you, and praying that you and your family find comfort and healing that only God can give. You still amaze me with your attitude!