Friday, March 27, 2009

Port update...

Well, Fletcher's surgery went well yesterday. That kid is so amazing to me! He's such a trooper and oh so strong! I hit the ground running at 4:30 am and was at TCC by 5:30 am. Fletcher woke up in a great mood and was excited to go on an 'adventure' until we walked into Outpatient Services! Man, was he mad when he realized where he was! The surgery was scheduled for 7:45 and they were on time! The surgeon came out after they took the existing port out and told us it wasn't defective but that it had some fibrous tissue like scar tissue around it and that's why it wasn't working. Dr. Tuggle then told us Fletcher's chest needed a break and he put the port in Fletcher's groin on the left side. OUCH! We are praying this one will last for a long time. He's doing really well today a little cranky and I'm sure he's probably very sore. Thank you so much for for being so diligent in your prayers for him and us! Yesterday was a tough day for me emotionally. I don't think I'll ever get used to them wheeling him away to surgery but I don't usually cry and yesterday I cried. I think as he's getting older he's realizing what's going on and it scares him. Yesterday was really weird they didn't have enough beds so we took him back to the surgery holding area in his wheelchair. When it was time for him to go into the OR they kept him in his wheelchair he held out his hand for me to hold it so I did. I didn't realize he thought I was going with him so I had to let go of his little hand and let complete strangers take him away. Heart wrenching! It makes me tear up now as I write this! It's never going to get easier so I'm hoping for less frequent. Again thank you for being the Body of Christ to our family, as Fletcher was being whisked away into surgery I wasn't able to pray right before he went in and I immediately thought about all of you and I knew you all were praying. I had of course, been praying for Fletcher, he just didn't get to hear me pray for him. I think that's one reason why I was so emotional!

so cute!!

We're supposed to have some snow tonight so today I've been busy going to the grocery store and cleaning up the garage so I can park my car in there! I did a little home improvement project on spring break...I painted my fireplace. It looks absolutely amazing. I'm so happy with how it turned out.



Speaking of spring break, Kayleigh went to Mississippi last week with her grandparents. She had a great time visiting family and hanging out with old friends. We missed her! It's quiet around here without her! Kayleigh leaves this afternoon for Tulsa. She's going to Acquire the Fire which is a big youth rally type of deal. I'm praying for safe travel and for her to have a life changing time, for her to know Jesus in a more intimate way. I'm sure she'll have a great time she's very excited.

Kayleigh waiting in the cold to go to ATF

Maddie is doing great, as well. She's still loving first grade. This week she and a few other kids got to go to the library and check out CHAPTER books. Very exciting! She'll take her first AR test next week. Maddie is also getting ready to bridge over into Brownies. Last night at Girl Scouts the first grade Daisies were able to hang out with the Brownies. She loved it! Now if we could just get her to go by herself and let mommy have a break that would be nice. Her troop ended up selling 8,300 boxes of GS cookies! And we have less than 30 girls! So proud of all of them!

Craig is doing well. He's fixing to do a big honey-do project for me. We are in desperate need of a new stove. Ours is original to the house. It's going to be quite a project because this stove is a 'drop in' stove and it's smaller than a normal stove. So he's going to have to cut the counter top to make room for the new one. That's a pretty scary task so he's going to have one of his buddies help him. I'll take before and after pictures when we're all done.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you all have a great weekend! Stay safe!


janet c said...

Easy thing first, the spring-break chimney project is a huge success! Congratulations. I'm so sorry for Fletcher, that must have been very hard letting go of his hand. I hid a smile when you talked about he was in a good mood until... reminds me of my childhood dog at the vet. Somehow she knew when we were in the car driving over there and would start shaking in fear. I respect the doc wanting to give his chest a break for the port, but the groin, man oh, man. That's where they put them for arteriograms for adults and then we lie still for 24 hours. Keep us posted on how this works. I hope it doesn't interup his sitting up progess. I hope AND I pray.

oda41143 Missy said...

So glad that the port went well. Sorry it was a sad day for you, I can't even imagine. The fireplace looks AWESOME!! Please come to KY and paint for me. I'm getting ready to take on some big jobs and I need help. That's not too much to ask is it?

randy said...

Aquire the Fire is where Aaron is this weekend also. They left this morning at 8am. They are to be back home around 2pm sunday. Funny that we have young one's there. Glad to hear Fletcher is doing well and the port went well. We are looking forward to visiting you and him in a month or so. Be looking to that time again. Love to all. Uncle Randy and Aunt Sandy.

Anonymous said...

Always praying for your family! The fireplace looks incredible! Good work. Amy P.