Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Long Journey Home...

I can hardly believe I haven't blogged since Thanksgiving! Boy, do I have a lot of ground to cover to catch you all up!

I really don't even know where to start! Well, we've been really busy. Kayleigh is officially a SENIOR!!! Next week she and I will make a trip to OSU OKC to get an idea of what we need to be doing to get her ready for college. Kayleigh's still not sure what she wants to do career wise so it's time for us to get busy! Kayleigh is also looking forward to spending a few weeks in Mississippi with her maternal grandparents. Maddie finished up third grade and had a great year academically. She is enjoying summer! This year Maddie is attending a little day camp called Summer Spectacular. It is three weeks long and each week she took a different class of her choice. The first week was Math Mania, which she loved! The second week she chose a reading class and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the last week and she's taking a French class and I'm pretty sure it's her favorite of all three classes! Next month she is going to summer school with Fletcher to volunteer with the special needs kids. Then hopefully a break before school starts!

Fletcher turned six last December and right after his birthday they started slowly weaning his ventilator settings. By the end of February, Fletcher was on CPAP settings, meaning he was initiating all the breaths by himself! On May 24th I got a phone call from his nurse practitioner, Julie telling me they had just 'sprinted' Fletcher off the ventilator for 15 minutes! He was completely OFF the ventilator, breathing on his own for 15 minutes!!! So the process has begun to get him off the ventilator completely! Each week since, Julie has added 30 minutes at a time of him being off the ventilator. He's off the ventilator twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Tonight he will go for 2 hours!!! He's tolerating it well. He's still a bit anxious about the whole thing but there is always someone near when he's off so they can help him if he gets in any trouble. If Fletcher can come off that ventilator completely he can come home and live with us! I don't know how long it will take but, there is an exit plan in place, kind of! We, of course, have always said we would bring him home when he got off the ventilator but I'm not sure 'other people' really thought he'd ever leave The Children's Center. It's very exciting and scary all at the same time. Exciting, because we'll all finally be under one roof. Scary, because he's still a kid with some pretty intense special needs and we'll be taking care of him by ourselves. Financially, it will probably be a stretch for us and I can't in my feeble brain see how the Lord will work that all out, but I'll let the Lord think on that one and work it out for us! I'm standing on Philippians 1:6 "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." The Lord is faithful and finishes what He starts. Our children belong to Him and He will take care of them. A good friend, reminded me that the Lord is not only preparing Fletcher, He's preparing ME for this new adventure of having Fletcher at home full time. I'd appreciate your continued prayers as we travel this Long Journey Home!



Such a happy boy...


Doing one of his favorite things...



At the OKC Zoo...

2 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

Love, love, love it! What a party that will be when he comes home.

Aunt Iris said...

Wow! We can get sidetracked by the stuff of life when actually this “stuff of life” is the track! We just aren't designed to trek it alone. We need to get behind Jesus and look over His shoulder and trust Him as he goes before us to prepare the way. So...I am trying to daily surrender my path to His Lead! I see that you are too and I am so proud of you. Aunt Iris