Friday, February 6, 2009

Surgery update and a bit more...

Fletcher's surgery went well and they were able to place a port in him. Praise the Lord for that! One thing I dislike about Children's Hospital is that it is a teaching hospital. I realize these people have to learn somehow but seriously? Fletcher was basically a pin cushion for about three residents on Wednesday! Apparently he had two surgical residents on either side of him poking and prodding on him I'm guessing to see who would find the best vein. Our recovery nurse wasn't the brightest star in the sky either. Fletcher came out of surgery a little loopy and it was quite humorous. But once he noticed he had an IV in his hand he got mad and started flailing his arm up and down and blood was flying all over his bed. He also had and opening below his shoulder where one of the residents was unsuccessful in putting his line in. It started to bleed like crazy as well. She obviously didn't know what to do. So another nurse came over to help. They had to have permission to take the IV out so that took some time. Then about 10 or 15 minutes later his incision where the port is started bleeding to the point where the surgeon was called and had to come and help stop the bleeding. Fletcher is anemic so all the blood was freaking me out! I just kept saying, 'he's anemic, he's anemic, he's anemic!' Which didn't seem to bother anyone. Fletcher is allergic to Tegaderm, which is a clear bandage basically. Before he went into surgery they asked me about the Tegaderm and made sure that was the only thing we knew of that he was a allergic to. Well, sure enough Fletcher came out of surgery with Tegaderm covering all three incisions! So it was a day of mishaps and we couldn't wait to get back to TCC.


Maddie has had strep all week and finally went back to school today. Our pediatrician is concerned about the frequency that Maddie gets strep so we have an appointment with an ENT on February 23rd. I don't know what we'll do if he wants to take her tonsils out. We're very leery about the whole tonsil thing. So, we'll just wait and see what happens and worry about that on another day! Maddie also got her first professional haircut! I've always cut her hair but she has so much hair and it's really hard to cut. Maddie loves it and it looks so cute, but she looks like a 3rd grader! I really don't like that my babies are growing up on me it's hard on their mommy!

before

after

3 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

Wow, sounds like you had a terrible surgical experience with a positive ending, I'm hoping. Maddie is growing up. It stinks doesn't it?

Kristin's Blog said...

You tell them meanies to quit poking all over my boy....what a hypocrite I am! Maddie's hair is simply amazing! Did she donate some of that to locks of love?

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that it all didn't turn out so happy. Poor Fletcher and poor mommy. I am glad he made it through good though and what needed to be done was done.