Wednesday, June 3, 2009

So fun and so smart...

This kid of mine is such a blessing to me. Fletcher is really making some nice progress in a lot of areas. Today his speech therapist, Heather told me that Fletcher's going to be wearing his speaking valve every time he's up in his wheelchair. He's using his voice so much now. Heather is working with Fletcher on saying 'hi' but it's coming out more like 'hi hi' and I love it!! Fletcher loves people and anytime someone walks into his unit he waves and blows kisses like crazy. How fun would it be if he was able to say 'hi' to everyone who walks in? Absolutely fabulous!! Maddie and I went to class with Fletcher today which was good and bad. Bad only because when he's with me while in his wheelchair he EXPECTS me to take him for a walk. So Maddie and I took him to class and he was really upset with me for not taking him for a walk. Maddie and I had to sit where he couldn't see us so he would cooperate with his teacher. The main reason we wanted to go with Fletcher to class today was because he was going to be writing a letter on the computer. I just had to see it with my own eyes. Well, it was so exciting. Technology today is really making it possible for people of all kinds to communicate. The computer was set up with two switches that would activate choices. One would give him choices and when he selected what he wanted he would push the other switch to make the choice. Fletcher choose to write a letter to his Aunt Dawny today. It's hard to explain so hopefully I caught enough of it on tape that you can see him in action. But, like I mentioned earlier he wasn't really happy with me to begin with.

2 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

He's a rockstar!! I love that Maddie's summers are filled with Fletcher time.

Aunt Dawn said...

I love that boy so much. Thank you Fletcher for the letter Aunt Dawny will treasure it forever!